This qualification ensures that you are up-to-date with the latest industry regulation on wiring and the safe use and operation of electrical equipment and systems. It covers the 18th edition of the IET Wiring Regulations, which came into force in June 2008. These regulations are recognised by the British Standards Institute as a British Standard (BS7671).
Practising electricians must comply with the regulations for electrical work, this qualification is designed to provide those seeking progression in their career with the opportunity to develop the skills necessary to carry out job roles and responsibilities associated with the Electrotechnical industry.
What is involved in studying this course?
During your study you will focus on meeting the standards of the latest IET Wiring Regulations, including, essential aspects of the safety, selection and erection of electrical equipment Inspection and testing.
What careers can this lead to?
City and Guilds qualifications can lead directly into employment, offering learners the chance to develop their skills and knowledge to a high standard recognised by the industry.
Who is the qualification for?
This qualification is primarily aimed at practising electricians with relevant experience and other allied professionals e.g. surveyors, consultants and other trades needing to update and enhance their understanding of IET Wiring Regulations. It is also suitable for anyone wishing to demonstrate an understanding of the IET 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (BS 7671).
What does the qualification cover?
The IET Wiring Regulations (BS 7671) are the definitive standards for the electrical industry in respect of safe use and operation of electrical equipment and systems. They set requirements and operating criteria for the UK and correspond to EC standards and are recognised by the British Standards Institute as a British Standard (BS 7671). It is intended to ensure that individuals are conversant with the format, content and application of the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671:2018.
To achieve the City & Guilds Level 3 Award in Requirements for Electrical Installations BS 7671: 2018 learners must achieve one mandatory unit.
602 Understand the requirements of electrical installations BS 7671 (2018).
Unit 602 Understand the requirements of electrical installations BS 7671:2018
This unit gives the learner an understanding of the full content of BS 7671, and how this applies to electrical installations within its scope.
1 Understand the scope, object and fundamental principles of BS 7671.
2 Understand the definitions used within BS 7671.
3 Understand how to assess the general characteristics of electrical installations.
4 Understand requirements of protection for safety for electrical installations.
5 Understand the requirements for selection and erection of equipment for electrical installations.
6 Understand the requirements of inspection and testing of electrical installations.
7 Understand the requirements of Special installations or locations as identified in BS 7671
8 Understand the information contained within the appendices of BS 7671.
Candidates must not be entered for a qualification of the same type, content and level as that of a qualification they already hold. There are no formal entry requirements for candidates undertaking this qualification. It is expected that candidates will have basic knowledge of electrical science.
Age restrictions This qualification is approved for candidates aged 16 or above.
- successfully complete one multiple choice online test.
This is an open book assessment and learners will be allowed to take in the following permitted reference material:
- IET Wiring Regulations 18th Edition: BS 7671:2018 Requirements IET wiring regulations books taken into examinations can contain the following:
- Bookmarks (eg blank post-it notes, post-it notes numbered to indicate chapters or corners of pages folded)
- Highlighting of text IET wiring regulations books taken into exams cannot contain the following: · Sample exam questions, answers or diagrams
- Any writing in the regulations or accompanying written notes
What opportunities for progression are there?
It allows candidates to progress into employment or to the following City & Guilds qualifications:
- City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate in Fundamental Inspection, Testing and Initial Verification (2392- 10)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate in Building Regulations for Electrical Installation Contractors In Dwellings (2393-10)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Award in Initial Verification (2391-50)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Award in the Periodic Inspection (2391-51)
- City & Guilds Level 3 Award in Inspection and Testing (2391-52)
- City & Guilds Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering (4467-04)
City and Guilds (2382-18) Level Award in the Requirements for Electrical Installations BS7671-2018
IET Wiring Regulations (18th Edition BS 7671: 2018)